Friday, July 6, 2007

"Dear Taxpayer,......"

Yesterday I got the letter specifically telling me why I should not be entitled to Innocent Spouse relief. Here it is, as Vivian M. Fox, Operations Manager, Innocent Spouse, details it in her letter to me (Dear Taxpayer,..... - that's hysterical, the "dear" part!)

"We propose to deny relief under IRC section(s) 6015(f) because you did not show it would be unfair to hold you responsible. You did not prove, that at the time you signed the return, you had reason to believe the tax would be paid. Also, the documentation you provided does not prove economic hardship."

There you have it. In my next few posts, I'll begin to decifer the words of these statements. For example, "that at the time you signed the return..." does that mean year 2000 or 2001. Or, as the agent Ms. Harvey told me, after saying it was both returns, changed her defination of "return" to the "audit report" I signed in 2002. That report, that agent told me, by signing, only confirmed that I acknowledged the changes made to the returns.

It's smoke and mirrors. I don't believe the "contact person", basically the judge and jury on this, Ms. Harvey, even looked through the more than 100 pages of documentation I gave her, including explanation of life with my ex at that time concerning finances. Would not be "unfair" to hold me responsible. I had nothing to do with my ex's business or tax preparations, don't hold a degree in accounting or an MBA, and signed b/c for the previous five years he'd been pressuring me to - and so much more. Also, what does economic hardship have to do with anything. Anyone who knows me know I live in luxury and splendor .... Got to go for now.

No comments:

Mission impossible

Mark Everson, commissioner of the IRS, states in a message to taxpayers, "To protect the honest taxpayer, we have strengthened enforcement of the tax laws. The vast majority of taxpayers pay honestly and accurately, and they have every right to expect their neighbors and competitors to do the same."

This blog will document my ongoing efforts to extract myself from the financially oppressive control of the IRS during and after being married to a businessman who was less than forthright with his finances. Here's what happened when I tried to be honest and make things right. A little upfront warning: don't try this at home. You'll end up where I am, and believe me, it's tedious at best.

The IRS Mission, according to the 2006 1040 instruction booklet, is, "Provide America's taxpayers top quality service by helping them understand and meet their tax responsiblities and by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all."

My Mission: In dealing with the IRS since a joint-income tax return field audit was started in July 2002, I hope to help as many friends as possible, in like circumstances, avoid the "top quality service" of such a fair and honest organization as the IRS. It's not worth it. Don't ever try to be a good American in this realm. Protect yourself.