Brought up too nice - that's what my brother says about us siblings sometimes. What I know about me is that I can be too gullible, too accepting, too blind to the time-tested truths in common colloquialisms about something, someone, someplace. I don't think my parents had anything to do with it.
I always thought if you told the truth, it would set you free. Really. I know. Pathetic. Disgusting. Idiotic. Naive. I ate up that George Washington crossing the Delaware River with the freezing troops in blankets and without shoes, and beating the bullying British. I loved the colonial era, the simple majesty of our declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson's ideals and words, Thomas Payne's protests, Thoreau's Walden.... why? I have no idea.
But maybe some of us are hardwired for that - to think that the world really is a just, good place where truth and justice prevail eventually. Of course I've wised up, especially in the past five years. Wished I'd done it at age 10.
The headlines of late have proved, in a very concentrated manner, just how ludicrious that type of thinking is, just within the context of our country. What's the best way to navigate today, in terms of national sentiment? Cynicism. Scepticism. Doubt. Denial. Hope tempered with a pre-emptive stance of assumed disappointment down the pike.
A book I found that was published in 1997 by Shelley L. Davis. "Unbridled Power: Inside the Secret Culture of the IRS." I just got it from the library yesterday, so I've only read 10 pages but note this:
Davis writes: "It is the story of inept and clubby IRS executives who have forgotten what their job really is, what public service really means. It is the story of how unethical behavior thrives in the highest ranks of the IRS bureaucracy. It is the story of how the IRS runs from its past, evades its responsibilities, coddles criminals, lies to Congress, retaliates against whistle-blowers, and squanders the billions it receives in taxpayers' funds on incompetant management schemes, cushy off-site management seminars in top-notch resorts, and computer systems that don't work and cost plenty. It shrouds all these actions in a culture of secrecy that makes disclosing what goes on inside its marble halls a federal crime."
This was written by a former employee of a decade of the IRS. Before my divorce I pretty aware of newly published titles, my radar was "on" for anything about the IRS.
Makes me think I was made to miss this one, made to go down this path. Destined to sit here tonight and write this?
(Is the above statement another way to make a postive thing out of a miserable situation? That hardwired tendency toward looking to the bright side... is it just another name for survival of the psyche? Ie. Denial?)
The index of this book has nothing about Innocent Spouse. One of my goals in this blog is to explore Innocent Spouse, it's history, the facts about it and statistics of how many get is. I'd love someday, to visit that little IRS site in Covington Kentucky just reserved for the Innocent Spouse experts. Wonder what type of spouses these folks make. Innocent. What a word. By the time a human reaches the age of 15, the word innocent conjures a smirk. If I don't get it, then am I the converse..... a Guilty Spouse? Guilty of marrying the wrong person and getting trapped... that much I'll agree to. Of intending the cheat the government - never.
Now I'm going to google Shelley L. Davis' name.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mission impossible
Mark Everson, commissioner of the IRS, states in a message to taxpayers, "To protect the honest taxpayer, we have strengthened enforcement of the tax laws. The vast majority of taxpayers pay honestly and accurately, and they have every right to expect their neighbors and competitors to do the same."
This blog will document my ongoing efforts to extract myself from the financially oppressive control of the IRS during and after being married to a businessman who was less than forthright with his finances. Here's what happened when I tried to be honest and make things right. A little upfront warning: don't try this at home. You'll end up where I am, and believe me, it's tedious at best.
The IRS Mission, according to the 2006 1040 instruction booklet, is, "Provide America's taxpayers top quality service by helping them understand and meet their tax responsiblities and by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all."
My Mission: In dealing with the IRS since a joint-income tax return field audit was started in July 2002, I hope to help as many friends as possible, in like circumstances, avoid the "top quality service" of such a fair and honest organization as the IRS. It's not worth it. Don't ever try to be a good American in this realm. Protect yourself.
This blog will document my ongoing efforts to extract myself from the financially oppressive control of the IRS during and after being married to a businessman who was less than forthright with his finances. Here's what happened when I tried to be honest and make things right. A little upfront warning: don't try this at home. You'll end up where I am, and believe me, it's tedious at best.
The IRS Mission, according to the 2006 1040 instruction booklet, is, "Provide America's taxpayers top quality service by helping them understand and meet their tax responsiblities and by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all."
My Mission: In dealing with the IRS since a joint-income tax return field audit was started in July 2002, I hope to help as many friends as possible, in like circumstances, avoid the "top quality service" of such a fair and honest organization as the IRS. It's not worth it. Don't ever try to be a good American in this realm. Protect yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment