Friday, July 13, 2007

Forging ahead

I'm no so worried about the appeals process. According to the IRS form titled "Your appeal rights and how to prepare a protest... I don't need representation at my appeals conference. But then again, like I trust IRS literature! Hah.

I worry though, seriously, about tax court. There is no way I can afford a tax attorney. In late winter of 2003 I saw Ted Sinars, a tax attorney on LaSalle Street in Chicago. He was a partner in the firm. I got in to see him through a neighbor in Michigan who worked for Ernest and Young accounting in Chicago. Mr. Sinars was very kind, but basically told me I'd need $5,000 to start, and there was no guarantee of anything. He didn't charge me for that meeting. It was a different world from the attorney's offices I'd been in around Kankakee - the secretary came out to take my coat when I got there, offered me coffee or a drink while I was waiting. Beautiful waiting room with original artwork. You get the picture.

Mr. Sinars gave me the name of an enrolled accountant - a cpa who was qualified to go up against the IRS in tax court. He was in some western Chicago suburb, that I drove to in icy rain about 3 weeks later, and who charged me $250 to tell me he could represent me but he wasn't sure of the outcome. A framed cartoon, enlarged, dominated his waiting room - it was the sketch of a patient on a gurney, IV poles with fluids reading "Savings" "Business earnings" and "Kid's College Funds" going into him. A tube coming from his body and draining into a large vat with the letters IRS. The patient says: "You gotta help me doc. They're draining the life out of me!!!"

At the time I thought money wasn't equal to life. I still believe that. But now I realize the IRS can drain something more important from you - hopes for the future. I have no idea what kind of retirement I can even hope for, as I'm looking at a $210,000 tax debt, plus my attorney's fees, plus possible garnishment of wages in the future with my rinky-dink IRA valued at around $10K. How do I try to save for my kids' college educations? How do I own property, as I live in a rented house, drive a car in my parents' names - I'm living like a financial fugitive. Have been for years - and I'm still not used to it.

That's the true cost of what I've become entrapped in - by marrying and trusting the wrong person, and signing my name to tax returns two years out of a six year marriage - I've become a person without any financial solidarity. A loser - especially in this country of wealth and prosperity, where you are what you own.

I don't believe that - but sometimes I dream of moving to a simplier place - Mexico. Simple and cheap. I'm a nurse - my skills are transferrable. At this point, that's close to my current retirement plan. The Peace Corps has taken volunteers as old as 89. They give medical care and free room and board. I checked. I qualify (without inputing my age) because of my nursing skills.

I guess I can take comfort in the fact that I'll be useful - maybe.

And maybe this blog too will help other naive fools like my former self to NEVER, EVER try to be an honest American taxpayer and report what you know is fraud. You'll just sink yourself. As Shelley Davis noted in her book: whistle-blowers are persecuted.

Remember the three monkeys: hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

For me it's too late. I'm going to tell the truth. Outside of putting me in prison, I have little to lose.

No comments:

Mission impossible

Mark Everson, commissioner of the IRS, states in a message to taxpayers, "To protect the honest taxpayer, we have strengthened enforcement of the tax laws. The vast majority of taxpayers pay honestly and accurately, and they have every right to expect their neighbors and competitors to do the same."

This blog will document my ongoing efforts to extract myself from the financially oppressive control of the IRS during and after being married to a businessman who was less than forthright with his finances. Here's what happened when I tried to be honest and make things right. A little upfront warning: don't try this at home. You'll end up where I am, and believe me, it's tedious at best.

The IRS Mission, according to the 2006 1040 instruction booklet, is, "Provide America's taxpayers top quality service by helping them understand and meet their tax responsiblities and by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all."

My Mission: In dealing with the IRS since a joint-income tax return field audit was started in July 2002, I hope to help as many friends as possible, in like circumstances, avoid the "top quality service" of such a fair and honest organization as the IRS. It's not worth it. Don't ever try to be a good American in this realm. Protect yourself.